"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, July 27, 2015

RAINS and THE HOT SUN

July 27, 2015

El Parque 
Branch
Santa Marta District
Companion:  Elder Barriga


Hey everyone!

This week was great!  We made a lot of progress and helped a lot of people!  But Sunday NOBODY came to church.  That was definitely a bummer.  Last minute everyone cancelled!  Santa Marta is a little difficult in the missionary work.  People reject us!  That's something that you don't really see in any other area in the mission.  In most all of my mission we can just talk to people on the street and they are so receptive to the gospel and Jesus Christ, but the people here aren't too much.  It's kind of cool though because we have to work in new ways to find people to teach. 

So on Thursday the rain really came down hard!  It doesn't rain as often in Santa Marta and this part of the coast as much as in other parts, so everyone was pretty happy about the rain.  The streets turned again into arroyos or rivers and we had to cross a few times so we just rolled up our pants and walked through them, haha!  My shoes have seen some water in their life time, but luckily they've lasted until now!  I always have loved the rain!

Something neat happened to me yesterday!  So we were teaching an investigator.  She is a Seventh day Adventist church member (I think that's what its called in English) and is really active in her church.  From day one she has been so receptive, like a lot of other people from this religion that I've met here.  It's been neat to talk with her because she is an older lady but she loves to read and has been loving reading the Book of Mormon.  I think we had previously invited her to be baptized but I'm not too sure (mistake on our part) but while we were teaching her the clear thought came to me to invite her to be baptized.  I'll admit I was a little hesitant at first because she is so active in her church and everything but trusting in the spirit I did it and she accepted so easily!  It was a really neat experience to first receive and then act according to the prompting of the spirit to be led to do a good act.  She is really commited to come to church Sunday as well even though she has some difficulties walking, so we will see where this all goes with her!

Things have been going really well for us too!  It's been a fun transfer thus far!  For example, we usually play basketball in the morning for our exercise because there is a court around the corner from our house.  Then one day we noticed a slab of concrete like a table in the nearby park (here in Colombia there are a lot of strange things in the local parks, haha).  We then realized that it was a ping pong table so we went out and bought a ping pong net and the paddles and we've been playing in the morning for our exercise.  It's just been a fun transfer!

Elder Barriga eating at KFC
Laundry Day
Laundry Day
I'm enjoying the mission and I love being on the Lord's errand.  It's a great feeling and it definitely brings me happiness.  I feel as though I now have a new clearer view of everything, like I changed a light bulb and now the room is more light than it was before.  It's because the church really is true and I am progressing in my own personal conversion!

Well I hope you all have a great week!  Take care!

Elder Crandall