"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, August 3, 2015

BURNED

August 2, 2015

El Parque Branch
Santa Marta District
Companion:  Elder Barriga

Hey guys!

What a week!  We actually had a great week!  Nothing too crazy, but it was fun!

So M--- has been a little sick these days and hasn't been able to come to the lessons or anything and also wasn't able to go to church yesterday which was a bummer.  But she is still doing great.  Another investigator we have is A---.  She is like 26.  Her story is actually pretty cool.  Around a week before I came my companion and his old companion were looking for people to teach and found her in the street and they taught her a little bit. Then I got here.  Her boyfriend (husband to be) doesn't like mormons.  He lets us come though, but never will listen to us or anything.  Almost everyone here in the coast are not married meaning they are not fulfilling God´s commandment of the law of chastity. A--- has also been working with her parents in the Santa Marta market so she has to work Sundays early in the morning because Sunday is the best day in the markets.  We didn't really have too much hope that she would progress fast because of some difficulties, but she has always had a desire to learn and always keeps her end of the commitments, like reading and praying.  Then this week A---´s husband-to-be left and her mom told her that she doesn't have to work Sundays anymore.  What a miracle!  What's even more of a miracle is that she came to church yesterday and loved it!  She is progressing a ton!

Also this week we had our much anticipated Branch Pizza Party!  When I got here we had the idea to throw a branch party to help the branch members have good morale and all.  Friday it happened!  Sorry I wish I had pictures but I forgot my camera that day!  We watched a short mormon message video and the branch president talked a little and then we played the game, Headbands, which was super fun.  And, of course, we ate pizza!  There was a pretty good turnout which was awesome!  What is even more awesome is that some less actives went to church Sunday that attended the activity! 

Speaking of pizza, I ate vomit pizza this week!  Sounds gross right?  Haha, it was actually pretty tasty.  They call it vomit pizza because on top of your pizza they put a bunch of extra stuff like french fries and sauces and stuff.  It was funny on the phone ordering it because after I told them what we wanted they asked me if I wanted vomit on my pizza.  That made me laugh, haha, but it was delicious!  I'll include a picture.

Vomit Pizza
Saturday we had a service project as a zone!  We went to a member's house that lives on the side of a mountain and helped them pick away the side of the mountain so that they can have more space!  It felt nice to do some good physical labor. 
 
The mountain side by the house we were working on

The Before: part of the mountain we needed to work on

Missionaries working on removing a rock

The After: Removing part of the mountain

Our Zone After

Our Zone After


We found a scorpion there!  I didn't know they existed in this part of Colombia! We also found a rat! 
Colombian scorpion

Colombian rat, freshly dead!
The only bad part was that I got super BURNED on my neck and face.  Oh that was terrible to have to wear a collared shirt and tie and everything later that day!  Can you believe that was the first time I've gotten sun burned in my mission?!

I'm enjoying the mission!  I love serving and helping people.  It's a good feeling that you only get from this kind of service! 

Some of our Zone today

Some of our Zone today
I love and miss you all!  Have a great week!

Elder Crandall