"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, May 25, 2015

UNSTOPPABLE

May 25, 2015

Santo Tomas Branch
Hipodromo Stake
Companion:  Elder Troncoso

Hey everyone!

We had ups and downs this week!  To start it all off, we were progressing super well with E-------- in helping him prepare for his baptism.  We had a lesson scheduled Wednesday, but he didn't come.  However, he did go seminary (seminary here is in the night) so we caught him by the church building and set up a lesson for Thursday, but he didn't show up for that one either.  We were getting worried because this isn't like him and to top it off he wasn't answering his phone or anything.  It was really weird.  But then on Friday we had a training meeting with Elder Godoy, one of the area Seventies here in South America North area, so we tried to set up an appointment Friday night when we came back.  The same thing happened so we had to cancel the baptism.  So depressing because E-------- was so solid and sure about his baptism!  So yesterday we passed by his house and found him and he just said he got super busy. He also told us that he isn't sure anymore and that we shouldn't pass by his house.  Super weird right?  We think that there is something more to this but that he just doesn't want to tell us.  This is the third time this has happened to me in my mission and it's only happened here in Santo Tomas!  It's really weird!

On the bright side, we had the meeting with Elder Godoy!  He is a super funny and lively guy.  I learned a lot.  I also got to see a lot of my old friends in the mission because more than half the mission came in for this.  He taught us about some mistakes that missionarries often fall into in the lessons.  He also taught us about how to really find the needs of the investigators and how we can help them resolve their doubts.  It was because of this meeting that we left feeling unstoppable!  One of the things I really liked from this meeting was something that he told us in an earlier meeting that he held with just the leaders of the mission.  He talked to us a lot about the spirit and that to solve our problems in our areas we have to receive guidance by the spirit.  He told us that we can't have our agendas so full that there is no room for the spirit.  This point made me think a lot because I feel like sometimes I plan so well and want everything to go perfect, but things never do and that can be frustrating at times.  It made me think though that although I have plans and although I have an agenda, I need to have a broken heart, a contrite spirit, and a willing mind to receive and follow the promptings of the spirit.  The spirit is the key to missionary work and it's the thing that I need most to fulfill my calling here.

To top things off I also got sick on Friday. People here sometimes say "I'm not going to shower now in the middle of the day because the change in temperature will make me sick." I used to think that was the stupidest excuse ever until it happened to me Friday, haha. Friday we were in Barranquilla in the air conditioning all day and it was a lot colder than normal and I guess I'm kind of adjusted to the heat now and going without air conditioning. So when we left I felt the heat hit me hard and in the two hour bus ride back to our house I just felt miserable, haha.  My nose was so congested and I had the biggest headache ever! When we got back to the house I took my temperature and I had a fever of like 102.5!  Oh man I felt so bad!  So I just rested up and the next morning when I woke up I felt even worse!  It was definitely pretty weird!  I guess I can't tease the people that say they get sick from the temperature change anymore!

Elder Troncoso & Elder Crandall

Well I love and miss you all!  Stay safe and have a great week!  Choose the right!

Elder Crandall