"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, May 4, 2015

FROM THE INSIDE OUT

May 4, 2015

Santo Tomas Branch
Hipodromo Stake
Companion:  Elder Troncoso

Hey Family and Friends,

I hope all is well up there!  All is well here.  We had a pretty normal week with a lot of work. I also got to have an exchange with Elder Montoya, my son born in the wilderness, so that was pretty fun to work with him again.  We are still looking for a house and everything but we are still working pretty hard!

On Saturday and Sunday we had our stake conference and I got to see P--------, a convert from Ciudadela.  I was so happy to see him!  I'm not sure if you guys remember from last year, but his whole family is super special to me!  He told me that his wife now is pregnant and that she is in Bogota with her family for the month.  Y-------- and M-------- were working so I didn't get to see them but I told him to tell them hi from me.  Oh and there was another surprise!  E-------- R--------, also from Ciudadela, was at the conference.  She told me that the boundaries changed so she now is in this stake.  She was the really nice lady that has the pizza place and always gave us free pizza.  She is so nice!

Also this week we met an investigator named E--------.  He is 14, but he is so smart.  We went to have our first lesson with him and he pulls out this giant folder and is like "so guys, here's my research on the church" and he's got all these papers with the apostles and biographies and a ton of stuff!  He then goes on to tell us how he came across the church´s webpage and from there he found the missionaries in the street and everything.  It was a really cool story!  I couldn't help but laugh because he is already so prepared to be baptized, haha!  He already knows so much!  If you don't believe me, the very next day after our first lesson with him he went out and proselited with us.  He is really smart, haha!

I learned a pretty neat lesson this week.  I've lately been thinking about my mission and how much I feel as though I've grown. I feel like the biggest part of my personal growth has taken place between Christmas time and now.  I'm really trying to consecrate and purify myself from the inside out.  We found a house this week (to rent so we will no longer be 4 elders in one apartment) and passed by to look at it with the owner and talk about it.  It looked super great from the outside and I was really excited to take a look at it inside.  I was disappointed when the lady opened the door and I looked inside.  It was badly painted, had a weird smell, the walls were breaking down, the doors didn't work, and it had more cockroaches than the house we are in now.  It just wasn't suitable for us to live in.  I thought a lot about this comparison with myself and us as humans trying to come closer unto Christ and be guided by the spirit.  Although we may seem fit on the outside, if we are not good and clean enough on the inside, we won't be suitable for the spirit.  What does this mean? To me, it means that sometimes we have to do some cleaning, we have to repent, we have to make changes.  Some of the changes can be small, such as changing the curtains or scrubbing the sink, and some can be bigger, like changing a door or repairing walls.  Jesus Christ has given us the tools to make this happen and gives us every opportunity here to do so.  I am coming to learn more and more everyday how important it is to be in tune with the spirit and to be consecrated and pure.  Sure we will never be perfect, and us, like a house, needs constant cleaning, but we are promised that it is posible.  How grateful I am for the opportunity to change and repent!

Well I hope you all have a great week!  Choose the right!

Elder Crandall

PS:  Today has been fun so far. We went to Pricesmart. It's a store like Costco and a lot of missionaries go there. 
Elder Troncoso and I at Pricesmart