"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, March 30, 2015

LAS CUCARACHAS

March 30, 2015

Santo Tomas Branch
Hipodromo Stake
Companion:  Elder Conti

Family and Friends,

I hope everyone is doing well!  I'm doing great here!  We are seeing a lot of success and having some really great lessons!

I'll start by explaining the title.  Our house is so infested by insects.  We kill at least one or two fatty cockroaches everyday.  We called the office so they can come and spray and kill them all and they told us that they will come to the house next week and see just how bad the problem is.  So we decided to capture all of the bugs we find.  We now have a bag hanging on the wall full of giant bugs that we have found and killed, haha - only in the mission!  Well I'll relate 2 funny experiences. 

STORY 1: On Friday we got back to the house and found one cockroach crawling up the wall by our bathroom so Elder Barreto, one of the other elders living with us, takes the broom to kill it.  He smacked it down but it crawled through the door and we opened the door to find it scampering up the wall.  Elder Barreto then goes in for the kill when suddenly the roach pops out his wings and starts flying at us!  I almost had a heart attack.  I didn't know they could fly!!  So manly Elder Barreto battles down the roach and we place it in our trophy bag.  

STORY 2: The very next day we get back to the house and plan and everything is going normal.  Then we find a huge spider crawling by the rooms.  We wanted to take some pictures before we killed it.  I grabbed my camera and I got down to take a picture when the spider leaped at me!  I had another heart attack but even worse!  Haha!  We have some pretty fun experiences.
The spider before it lunged at me (I swear it was bigger than it looks!)

Well things are going good.  D-------- sadly fell back into drinking last weekend so we didn't have the baptism.  We passed by and set some goals to help him overcome his addiction. Hopefully he will be able to get over this by the weekend after conference.

Another awesome person that we teach is D--------.  He was baptized with his wife and one of his daughters in October and is a way funny guy.  He loves playing video games which is pretty funny.  We finished teaching them all of the lessons to them again so we decided to read the story about Ammon when he cuts off the arms of the bad guys.  Boy did D-------- love that story!  It was so funny reading that chapter with him, haha.  He was all big eyed and in shock imagining everything!  I'm loving Santo Tomas!

Today for our P-day we went and toured a military base with the zone.  I'll include some pictures.  We were able to take some pictures but they said we couldn't take any pics of the planes and stuff.  I did get to sit in the cockpit of one of the military planes which was awesome!  There was also a flight simulator that we got to play around with a little.  Then we went to Pricesmart to buy American food, haha.  It is a challenging choice to come back to Barranquilla because I have such easy access to cheap, good, unhealthy food, haha.  I can already feel that I'm gaining weight again!  Oh well!

Military Base Sign
Naval Pilots Gallery

My companion, Elder Conti and me

Four Elders

In the cockpit of the flight simulator




It's super fun living in a house with 4 missionarries.  We all get along super well and laugh a lot.  We are the only 4 missionarries in this branch.  The other Elders have the pueblos Santo Tomas and Savanna Grande and my companion and I have Palmar (where we always work) and Ponedera (we only have gone there like 3 times, only 1 less active lives there).  We want to start going to Ponedera a little bit more though.  It's just tough because its like a 20 to 30 mintue ride.  Johan gives us rides there in his motocarro so we get there and back free which is nice.

This upcoming week will be pretty crazy because the people here celebrate Semana Santa (Holy Week before Easter) like crazy.  But it will be great because of conference and the opportunity we have to listen to our living prophet and apostles.  How great an opportunity!  I'm so very grateful God has again called prophets and apostles to lead and guide us!

Well I hope you all have a great week!  Stay safe!  Watch conference!


Elder Crandall


P.S.:  Pictures from Elder Barreto: