"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, February 9, 2015

ON THE TRAIL OF LIFE

February 9, 2015

TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Montoya


Hey everyone!

Well this week things have improved a little.  We had a zone conference on Friday.  We got to watch the new church movie called "Meet the Mormons".  It was awesome!  I would love to get the DVD.  Then we had another conference for all of the trainers on Saturday.  It was nice to be so spiritually uplifted!

Elder Muir, Elder Arevalo, and me at the zone conference
Things are going pretty good here.  This week we are preparing Valeria for her baptism, which is on Saturday.  We have worked for around 3 months to get her Dad to give her permission to be baptized and finally on Thursday night he signed the paper and everything. It was such a great feeling.  I was so happy!  We just have to keep working now until Saturday!  Valeria is great though.  She is 11 years old.  Her brother is another recent convert and she was a reference from her grandma who was baptized just over a year ago. The whole family is really great and tonight we are going to go over there and have a family home evening lesson.

Also this week we found a couple new investigators from a recent convert named Zully.She is 13 and invited some of her neighbor friends to come to a lesson that we had.  She brought around 3 of her little friends that are between the ages of 9 and 13.  They all reminded me of playing with my little Johnson girl cousins and my nieces.  Too fun!  They are super receptive and I'm looking forward to teaching them some more.

My leg feels a lot better this week.  It was a blessing.  My leg didn't hurt me really at all.  It hit my knee dead on.  It should have been broken or I shouldn't have been able to walk, but really it was completely normal. 
My leg last Tuesday
My leg today
My companion is doing a lot better this week managing his stress.  He has had a tough time these first couple weeks in the mission and the months preceding his mission.  But God has been helping me to help him.  I feel as though God guides my words when my companion is in need and he helps me to help him.  Something I've realized this last week is that when we help people, God helps us.  I know I may seem big physically on the outside and all, but I do still have my weaknesses and may not be the biggest in other matters.  I've realized that God is helping me by helping my companion.  Sometimes in the mission I think and wonder if I'm really progressing.  It is perhaps difficult to see progress day to day, but month to month, and year to year it's a lot easier to see.  In this "hike" we know as life, we don't always see our progress and blessings in the way we want, like hiking up a mountain. Sometimes we just put our head down and keep walking without really noticing how far we have come.  It's not until you stop and look down the trail that you see how far you have come.  I know I'm not perfect, but I'm taking my steps up the mountain one foot at a time.

While on the topic of trails, I had to give a talk Sunday.  I based my talk on the first part of the scripture found in Proverbs 4:26 that says "Ponder the path of thy feet".  Our Prophet, President Monson, gave a talk about this topic in the last General Conference that I really liked.  I just think that each and every day in our important decisions we should check our stance, look where we are, and look where we want to be.  We learn in Lehi´s vision in the Book of Mormon that there are many wrong paths in life, but only one that leads to the tree of life.  As President Monson often teaches us, "Our Decisions Determine Our Destiny". I like that a lot.

Well, I struggle, but I grow too.  I love and thank all of you for so much love and support!  I hope you have a great week!

Elder Crandall