"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, January 12, 2015

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

JANUARY 12, 2015


TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Montoya

Hey everyone!

This was a great week.  I'm really not sure what happened, but Elder Montoya and I had renewed spirits and morals and we worked super hard!  We are some of the leading missionaries this week in the numbers! We did divisions twice and found a ton of new less actives and investigators.  What's even better is that a ton of investigators and less actives came to church yesterday.  We are seeing the fruits of the labors!  We are going to keep working super hard these upcoming weeks!  We came back every night super exhausted but super satisfied. This is is the Lord's work!

Old Church in Cartagena
Bro. Yacit & Elder Crandall
Well, we just worked a ton this week. Also on Saturday we did exchanges and I was with Elder Paredes. He was in my same ward back in Barranquilla and is here now with me.  He is a pretty cool dude.  We taught English classes and ate a lot of food and taught some good lessons.  It was a good day to say the least.  I'm trying hard to serve selflessly here.  I'm trying my best to be a good example to all and be as obedient as I can.

Also yesterday I went on exchanges with a kid about to leave on his mission named Christian. He is obsessed with speaking English and know how he learned?  By reading the Book of Mormon in English, how cool!  Proof that the promise is real:  if you want to learn a new language, read the Book of Mormon in that language! Anyway, he had a reference for us, one of his friends, so we went there and found the whole family there which was way neat.  Although next door there was a big party with loud music, the spirit was still strong and we were able to teach.  I love Turbaco!  The people and ward here are just so great!

I can't believe that this week marks my year mark on my mission. The mission has seemed super short as well. I think the more confident I've become as being a missionary, the easier it has become to work hard and try new things.  Some of our converts are progressing but some aren't.   We have lessons and they are so powerful and everyone participates and says they will go to church and read, but then don't.  It's a struggle.  People struggle with understanding the concept of faith.  It's the most popular and most discussed topic, yet no one fully understands it.  FAITH IS WORKS, WORKS MEANS GOING TO CHURCH, PRAYING, and READING THE SCRIPTURES. 

This upcoming week we have our interviews with President and that means Sister Searle will most likely make us chocolate chip cookies.  I definitely miss those.  But the work here is going great.  I really feel that in my second and last year as a missionary I can really do some work and help a lot of people.  I really want to pay more attention to the spirit and his promptings and more importantly follow them.  I've found that is an important part in listening to the spirit, we have to be willing to do what he tells us, because if we aren't willing, we aren't going to recieve that essential personal revelation.

WOWOWOW at Cartagena! It is a really charming city!  We went there today and it is amazing, truly beautiful!


Elder Crandall & Bro. Cuetto
El Espíritu Santo (the Holy Ghost) Restaurant with Elder Montoya, Bro. Cuetto, Elder Crandall & Bro. Yacit.


La bandeja paisa, a more typical plate from Medellín


Plaza de San Pedro
Plaza de San Pedro
Plaza de San Pedro 
Statue of a Pastor who helped slaves that built this old cathedral.  The Pastor really helped them out and gave them food and a place to sleep and so he was praised by them
The man in the New York T-shirt is Bro. Yacit.  He is the one that lived in the US for 9 years and speaks perfect English. He worked as a tour guide in Cartagena for the foreigners for some years. He is our neighbor and this morning he was asking what we were going to do today and we told him that we were thinking about going into Cartagena and he said that he wanted to come along with us so he did.  He lead us and showed us some cool spots. He's a way great and friendly guy.  I'll include some pictures but not all.  We were there for only like 3 hours and I have 115 pics, haha.  It's way cool though.  Yacit knows the city and all the cool places, he is a way cool
guy.  So we didn't go to San Felipes Fort, but a big portion of the city is surrounded by a wall that's like 500 years old with cannons and stuff. We only saw a small portion and I'm looking forward to going into Cartagena more to see the cool sites!  It's also the first time I've seen the ocean since I've been here.

Elder Crandall & Elder Montoya




Bay where the pirates would come and the fort would shoot at them. 
I heard that the pirate Captain Morgan came here









Hotels and Museums that used to be houses for the really rich people



Bolivar Plaza
Simon Bolivar freed the northern part of South America
Well I really love and miss you all and I hope you have a great week!  Take care!

Elder Crandall