"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, January 26, 2015

GORDITO AND BONITO

January 26, 2015

TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Montoya

Family and Friends,

This week wasn't the best because I got super sick and in bed for 2 days.  On Monday during our activity in Cartagena, one of the other elders had to leave for an emergency transfer so we were in a trio from Monday until Wednesday.  The other Elder that came to stay with us was a little sick and so I got super sick too.  I had a fever of 39 C (like 102 F) and my tonsils were unbelievably swollen that they were practically in my throat!  It hurt so bad to swallow that I barely ate!  


The office missionaries told me to take some stuff for the pain, but I thought I needed antibiotics or something more.  So when we finally left, we by chance passed by a sister's house and I described my symptoms and she told me she had the same thing a couple weeks back and she told me what the doctors told her to take.  So I went to the pharmacy and bought the antibiotics.  You know how much they costed? 3 dollars, haha!  Medicine is so cheap here! Anyway, there were 3 pills I had to take, one every day for 3 days.  After that, I felt a lot better. So I'm good now!

Another funny thing happened to me this week.  So Saturday we were looking for a reference in a neighborhood called La Cruz and there is always this "Jabba the Hut" sized lady (no harm intended) sitting in her second story window in this one street eating and shouting (she is a little mentally slow).  We usually try to avoid her because she always shouts at us and stuff, but this day we didn't even notice that we were walking by her house until it was too late. She began saying some stuff to us and trying to call us over, and she called me ´gordito y bonito´. It means fat and beautiful.  I always knew that the ladies like their men thick and this experience affirmed that myth.

Things are going pretty good here in Turbaco.  We are teaching some really great people. This week we found a guy named Edwin.  He was reading the newspaper in the street and we went up and started talking about this and gave him a pamphlet and took out another appointment for the next day.  He seemed pretty solid and told us that his brother was baptized but that he doesn't attend church anymore.  So we went there the next and found him helping his grandma, too golden!  He is a super sweet guy and has a lot experiences and has changed his life a lot. We now are trying to help him change even more.  I'll keep you updated on how he is doing.

Another person that we are teaching is named Moises.  He is an adoptive son of a less active sister in the ward. He is doing pretty good but doesn't focus too well on things.  So yesterday we were teaching him about The Word of Wisdom and when we went to challenge him to keep this commandment he flat out told us no, haha!  I think that was the first time that this has happened to me!  Usually people just say yes and do it, or they say yes and don't do it.  I've never had anyone say no!  Anyways, Moises likes his coffee and ice tea.  So we will be working on that a little with him.  He's a pretty great kid though.

Well I love and miss you all!  I hope you have a great week!

Elder Crandall

PS. Dont mind the up-the-nose shot, just look at my tonsils if you can see them!