"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, December 15, 2014

THE PLAN OF SALVATION

DECEMBER 15, 2014

TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Margarisca

Hey everyone!

We had a pretty good week filled with ups and downs.  We had a big zone conference this week with all of Cartagena which was very neat and uplifting.  We were there all day too and they gave us lunch.  Also, after everything Sister Searle gave our district an ice cream party because everyone in our district finished their English Book 1.  In our mission there is a program where the Latin missionaries learn English through these books and by taking little tests.  I think there are 3 books total.  It's a neat program and fun to help people learn English!

Also just so you know, the sister found my USB stick I lost last week!  It had fallen out of my pocket and she found it and gave it back to me. God is merciful toward me!

Mom, to answer your Christmas questions, I'm not sure, if Colombia has an equivalent to the Salvation Army bell ringers.  I haven't seen any!  Christmas does have significance here, but I think in the USA's culture it's a lot bigger deal. 

We don't have an oven so I haven't learned anything that way on my own. But I have improvised and made some pastas. Some ward members have taught me some things. I can make a Colombian dinner when I get back, haha.  There's this thing called patacon that I learned how to make.   I'm not sure how much you guys will like it, but we will definitely try it, haha!!

Yesterday we had the ward conference here in Turbaco and President and Sister Searle came out here for it.  They also gave talks that were very good about the death of a loved one and how the Plan of Salvation gives us peace and comfort amidst our trials and afflictions.  I think this talk really had an impact on a recent convert in our area named Yadelsy.  She is the only member of that big family that we are teaching.  I think I said last week, that the mother of this big family was in the hospital and last Monday we didn't know what happened but this week we passed by and found out.  So the mother's name is Olympia, and last Saturday she had a stroke.  They rushed her to the hospital and she was slowly recovering, but she is very old and delicate in her health.  I guess there was a lot of swelling in her brain so they tried to drain some blood and her health took a bad turn and they now think that she will pass away sometime this week but they arent sure yet. How grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation to know that this life isn't the end of our existance. That we can find comfort that our loved ones are taken care of, that God has a plan for us with the goal being that we return to be with him.

Well I'm doing good here!  With this health problem, we haven't been able to find and teach this family much because they're usually in Cartagena at the hospital, so we have had to look for some new people to teach.  We tried contacting some people in the rich area because we've never really been over there before and the houses look really cool haha. A lot of people have some ranches out here!  We found some pretty solid people, hopefully, and I will let you know next week how things go!  Also this week on Friday we have a Christmas activity planned by President and Sister Searle that should be fun!

While entering a bus today to go to Cartagena my leg got caught on the leg of a chair and it totally ripped my pants!!  I can mend it myself I think!  If not, its not the biggest deal!  I can get along without it!  

Just a flesh wound!

The owner of our apartment has two birds and the other day one came up to visit us. They always say ´hola´!  
Spanish speaking bird
Transfers are this week.  My companion is worried he might get transfered.  Christmas is coming up so fast though!  I'm looking forward to calling home on the 26th.  Is that date still ok?  My companion is calling home this week.  I think while my companion talks I'll just read or hangout with the other missionaries (because the 4 of us are going to be there) or play the keyboard since they are going to call from the church.  They are using a member's computer from the church which I think is a good idea because the internet is more secure and the sound quality will be better and less noise.  I'll probably do the same thing! 

Well I love and miss you all!  Hope you have a great week!!

Elder Crandall