"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, December 1, 2014

NO THANKSGIVING DINNER BUT STILL GRATEFUL

DECEMBER 1, 2014


TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Margarisca

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  Mine here was just another day since the people don't celebrate that holiday here. I think I'd have to say that Thanksgiving is one, if not, my favorite holiday.  Definitely missed that one!  This week on Thanksgiving we did nothing special, we didn't even eat dinner.  But oh well!  I think I'll make sure next year that we have a good Thanksgiving!  To make Thanksgiving worse I felt a little sick!  On Tuesday, I think my companion and I drank bad milk and we just felt super sick all day. He felt better the next day but my stomach pain lingered a little longer!  But all is well now!

It was fun seeing pictures of the family at Thanksgiving.  The kids are all growing up so fast! They're so big!  I can't believe it!  One of our recent converts in our area has a son the age of Davis and it dawned on me yesterday when we were teaching him about how big he has to be by now!  Too fun!  I also cannot believe that I am turning 20 this week. It definitely feels weird to think about!

I realized this week that I haven't really written about the people we are teaching here so I will do that now!  Well I think last week I said this, but we are teaching like one big giant family.  Uncles, cousins, grandparents, siblings, just everything!  I feel like everytime we go there there is someone new!  But anyway, only one person of this family is a member of the church, Yadelsy.  She was baptized about 2 months ago and we are really working hard with her husband, Luis F......., but we call him Lui Fer, and her daughter Linda. They both are progressing a ton and we are hoping they can make it to the water on the 13th! We also are working a ton with all of the siblings of Yadelsy, but especially with one named Edelma. She is super funny!  We are really trying to help her get married so she can fulfill the law of chastity and this Saturday, on my birthday, she plans on going through with it. The plans lack a lot of details, but we hope that we can get everything solid to go through with them this week.  Satan really has been attacking us with this work with her this week! She was super sick and everytime we went to go visit her something came up. Then we finally got there and we were watching the movie "The Restoration" and, of course, right when we were at the part where Joseph Smith was about to go to the grove and pray, the power goes out.  What are the odds of that!  But she always goes to the church activities and loves feeling the spirit.  Everyone here is so great and nice!

 A family home everning lesson we had yesterday

Choir practice from yesterday
The Hulk and friends at a store in Cartagena
The Brother in our Ward that makes the best lunches on Sundays

To answer some of your questions, I have not seen any live nativities here, although I'm sure you can probably find one.  Almost everyone here and everyone that iIhave met here in Colombia is Christian and believes in God.  The extent and understanding differs though. I'd say most people say that they are Catholic or Evangelic, but not all attend church.  I'm not too sure yet if there are any specific or different things here to celebrate Christmas such as food and stuff like that.  This last week I did see though that a couple of houses have Christmas lights on them.  The music in the streets also has been the same vallenato and champetta and salsa.  It hasn't changed to Christmas music and I don't think it will either. We downloaded some Christmas songs and will start playing them in the house soon. My ward is preparing a choir and we are going to go around and sing songs.  One elder is playing the piano and I am playing the guitar.  Another elder knows how to play a lot of the hymns pretty good so I'm not too needed when it comes to playing the piano in church.

We were going to go into Cartagena today but we ended up playing futbol. There's a really old Spanish battle fort here in Cartagena that I want to go to see but no one else really does.  Haha,  hopefully one of these days!  I'll include the futbol pics.

P-day Futbol
Well I love and miss you all so much!  Have a great and safe week!
Elder Crandall