"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, December 29, 2014

I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS

DECEMBER 29, 2014

TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Montoya

Hey everyone!

This Christmas was not white here, nor was it in Mesa, Arizona, but maybe it was for some of you!  It actually has cooled off here a little, not a lot, but a little.  In the night time there is a nice breeze and it's not so hot.  I still sweat, but in the night it is a little cooler.  I think it's because Turbaco is a little higher than Cartagena and there are a lot of trees here and everything.  Well everything is going great here!  Everything is good!  This letter might be a little bit longer than usual because I'll explain what we did on Christmas and everything.

So where do I begin!  This was a full week!  Lesson-wise we didn't have too much because it was a little hard with Christmas and all of the parties and stuff, but we did have a couple great ones.

On the 23rd we had our ward Christmas party.  I played the guitar and Elder Paredes played the piano with the choir.  Some people sang songs and stuff.  I'll include some pics.  

 Ward Christmas Party 
 Ward Christmas Party - Elder Paredes and I played with the choir
 Ward Christmas Party - Elder Paredes and I played with the choir
It was way fun! Also every year this ward makes a video, like a video consisting of pictures throughout the year, both funny and serious and spiritual and everything.  It's really well done and super funny!  It's pretty much the anticipated thing every year at this party! Then after the video we ate some food and went home.  It was definitely a fun day.

So the people here celebrate Christmas more on the 24th than the 25th.  On the 24th they have a big Christmas dinner and invite the whole family over.  So on the 24th a sister invited us missionaries over to her house for dinner and we ate there with them.  I'll also include some pics of that!  
Dec. 24th celebration at Family Cabarcas
Dec. 24th celebration at Family Cabarcas


Then on the 25th the people here don't really do too much of the same things the same way we do in the states.  They do a lot of the Christmas celebrating on the 24th and I'd say that Americans do more on the 25th!  Only the really young kids get presents and things like that here. 

So for us, we went and helped a sister paint her house on Christmas morning which was fun.
Christmas morning painting house
Christmas morning painting house
Christmas morning painting house
Then we went to a member's house for lunch and they gave us some way good food.  
Dec. 25th Christmas Lunch at Family Ludian Cohen
Dec. 25th Christmas Lunch
Dec. 25th Christmas Lunch at Family Ludian Cohen
Dec. 25th Christmas Lunch
Then later we pretty much visited members and they gave us a ton of food.  Later that night we got permission to watch the movie "Madagascar 3".  
I also ate a ton of candy.

Then, on the 26th I Skyped my family!  That was enjoyable and it was nice to be able to see and talk to them!  
Skyping my family with my moustache
Skyping with family
Way awesome!  It's crazy to think that this time next year I'll be going home! 

Chester, the dog, that always follows the missionaries
Well things are really going pretty great here.  I'm not quite sure what we are going to do for the New Year.  We might be locked in the house for a couple days but I'm not too sure! I thought this letter was going to be longer with explaining everything.  Well I love and miss you all!  I hope you had a great Christmas and will have a great New Year!  Be safe and take care!

Elder Crandall