"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, November 24, 2014

GANDALF THE WHITE and FRODO

NOVEMBER 24, 2014


TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Margarisca

Hey everyone! 

Well I'll start out by explaining the title of the email.  So here in this ward someone found out that my name sounds a lot like Gandalf because in Spanish Crandall sounds a little like Gandalf, from Lord of the Rings, so now everyone remembers my name by that, and I'm one of the only white guys here so I have given myself the title of Gandalf the White, haha!   Also someone commented that Elder Margarisca was Frodo, from the same movie and we were all laughing hard for a while haha!  I'm glad the people remember my name here!

It was nice to be able to go out and work again (after staying inside a week).  I know it's not always the funnest thing walkng around, sweating, and talking to strangers, but it's all worth it in the end, if not for me, for others.Things are all going well though.  Today we will be going into Cartagena so I might send some more pictures later today.  Turbaco is a cool little town and I still don't have Chikunguña thankfully!
After a family home evening that we had this last week
My companion really likes me to take pictures of him - haha!
To answer some of your questions, Turbaco is a small town and there aren't too many people here.  There's only one ward, although it does have a higher attendance than my other ward in Barranquilla.  There also are only 4 missionaries here.  I feel here the temperature changes a little more than in Barranquilla.  In Barranquilla it's always blazing hot.  Here I feel like it's hotter sometimes, but then clouds come in and we get a breeze. It's still hot, but at least there is a breeze!  It also has been raining a lot lately, especially the week we were locked in the house, but this last week it didn't rain too much.  

The food is the same, I think it's probably about the same in most parts of South America, lots of rice!  But every Sunday we go to the same family´s house for lunch and they are way good at cooking!  Some of the best meals I've had on my mission!  I'll include a picture of this last Sunday, we helped make some stuffed bell peppers, which is something totally different than what I usually have!  
My companion and I in front of the house that we eat lunch at every Sunday
My companion stuffing a bell pepper
Me stuffing a bell pepper
Also a lot of the families here have a little more money than the people in my last area, I think, because the houses are bigger. Some people have ranches and stuff so that's pretty cool!  I think I failed to mention that behind our house is a little farm with horses and chickens and stuff!  A lot of families live together, like right now we are teaching a huge family consisting of granparents uncles, cousins, siblings, just everything!  I swear everytime we go there I see someone new!  There are like 5 families that all live next to each other so we don't have to walk too much on the days we pass for them.
My companion and I with part of the big family we are teaching
So another thing I forgot to tell you guys last week was about the addresses here!  There almost are no addresses and so the people refer to their house from reference points.  For example, a reference we got this week was: go to neighborhood San Pedro, go the store on the corner and then follow the second street until you see a house with two stories, then it's the fifth house after that, oh and it's the green house.  The addresses are like that!  I'm not sure how I will be able to find my way around here haha!

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing great! I love seeing the pictures of the ASU game.  I remember those games and can't wait to go to them again when I get back!  I pray for the whole family a lot!  I'm very thankful that God is taking care of you all while I am here.  Such a blessing! 

So we went into Cartagena today but we just went to the mall.



Also cool to hear about the family having Thanksgiving in New York!  They don't really celebrate that here so I'm not sure what I'm going to do for that day!  That always has been one of the best holidays at home!  But really all is going well!  Love and miss you all!  Have a great week!

Elder Crandall