"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, November 17, 2014

CARCEL

NOVEMBER 17, 2014

TURBACO
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Margarisca

Hey everyone!

We had kind of a refreshing and dull week. So for Carnival, week long festivals here, we had to stay in the house all day everyday.  It was nice to rest up a bit but then after a while it was a little boring not doing anything!  Today we also have to stay in the house, but tomorrow we can leave!  So we will not be going to Cartagena today, but I think next week we will!  

There is nothing like Thanksgiving here that I know of.  I think I'm really going to miss that these upcoming weeks!  There's a ton of holidays here but I think they're more excuses to not work and have school off, haha!  Sometimes when we ask what they are celebrating they don't always know!

Way neat to hear that the Pheonix temple was dedicated.  It's so weird to think that when I get back there will be 2 new temples to go to for me within the city.  I'm too excited!

So we now are like 90% sure that the little guy living above us is indeed a bat!  At night we hear all these squeaking noises that doesn't sound like a rat, but we are confused because we don't hear his flying around or anything.   We also don't hear a rat running around, so we aren't totally for sure yet!  But one thing is for sure, something lives up there!

Turbaco, although I haven't had too much time to leave and walk around, is a smaller city. The ward here I think has more people attending than in my last ward Ciudadela. The ward though is awesome!  Everybody is so nice!  We still eat lunch with the members and we usually make something small for breakfast and buy something for dinner.  This week while we were stuck in the house the members brought us the lunch and we cooked the rest of the time.  One of our lunches fell through so I cooked a little pasta thing!  I'll send a picture.
To get around here we walk to take a mototaxi, which is a little cart taxi, Im not quite sure how to explain it very well, but I think I sent a picture of one last week! 

Well I don't really have too many stories this week because nothing really happenbed! But the bishop of the ward here gave a talk yesterday that I really liked and about a topic that I've been thinking about for a while so I'll share that!  So he talked about how when he goes to the grocery store with his family his younger daughter is always focused on buying the sugar and how she always tries to slip it into the cart.  He compared that to us today and how sometimes we are so focused on the things that we want that we leave out the things we need.  That sometimes we want other things that we forget and sometimes leave the prescence of the spirit to obtain these things.  I've been thinking a lot lately at why some people seemed to be motivated more than others, especially pertaining to their lives and potential as sons and daughters of God.  I don't think I have found the answer and I don't think that there is only one answer, but one thing I think that plays a role in our eternal motivation is the spirit.  In my life I have seen that I feel more motivated, more capable of doing things when I am close to the spirit and can feel His prescence.  When we have an eternal perspective on our existence and realize just how important our life here on earth is, we can feel the impact of our daily choices.  I'm very grateful for the knowledge of our Heavenly Father for us!

It also rained a ton this week! I'll include some random pictures.

A ton of rain
 Two guys in yellow jump suits riding on the same motorcycle
Bird I saw on the telephone wire, yeah we were kind of bored, haha
Big dark clouds every day!
Well I love and miss you all!  Stay safe and have a great week!

Elder Crandall