"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, November 10, 2014

CAMBIO DE CAMBIOS: BIENVENIDOS A TURBACO

NOVEMBER 10, 2014


TURBACO - NEW AREA!
Turbaco Ward, Los Alpes Stake
Companion:  Elder Margarisca

Hey everyone!

Wow do I have a lot to tell you guys this week!  So the thinkable did happen... and I got transfered to a little pueblo outside of Cartagena called Turbaco!  I'm finally in my second area!  I came here and am finishing the training of my new companion named Elder Margarisca.  He is 24 years old and is from Quito, Ecuador.  Way good guy too! I feel as though he already knows so much and is a already a good missionary.  Way cool!  Also Elder Norberg from back home was in this area and some of the members have already commented to me about how much they liked him. 

Well Turbaco is pretty sweet!  It was about a 2 hour drive on a bus from Barranquilla to Cartagena and then like half an hour from Cartagena to Turbaco.  I'm excited to go in and see some of the touristy stuff in Cartagena in a few weeks when we can go!  But this whole week we will be locked in the house because this week is Carnival here in Cartagena, or pre-Carnival, I'm not exactly sure, but it's pretty dangerous and crazy!  Like yesterday we were trying to get some lessons in but everyone is already drunk in the streets asking for money. If you don't pay they throw big buckets of water and other stuff on you and run up and mark your clothes with paint haha!  Pretty crazy!  Too funny too that I was in Barranquilla for the other Carnival and I was locked in the house for that week and then I come here for these carnivals too!  It was our P-day today but starting at 6:00 we are locked in the house from Carnival until next Monday!  We have a zone meeting tomorrow so I'm not sure how we are going to get there with that!  We have some church movies and stuff that I hope will keep us busy enough! We do have electricity and every companionship has a cell phone so we will be safe!

But anyway, more about Turbaco!  The drive here was actually really beautiful.  Everything was so green and I felt like we were driving through straight jungle.  







At one point we drove by a big lake that was pretty cool. Also here in Turbaco is a little cooler than Barranquilla, though I do hear that Cartagena is hotter than the both. It's also really green here!  Sometimes I feel as though it's straight jungle haha!  Like yesterday we woke up and when we went to leave there was a huge green bird, I think they're called Macaws or something, sitting in front of our house chatting away!  Pretty cool!  Also there are so many people that speak English in our ward!  I am really so surprised!  Our neighbor is a pretty cool guy in our ward that lived in Florida for like 16 years and speaks perfect English.  It's pretty cool!

I got some more pictures from today too. It's our P-day. There's a plaza place here in Turbaco and so we went and took a couple of pictures.  







One bad thing about Turbaco: Chikunguña!  It's some bad sickness spread by mosquitoes!  And only 8 missionaries here in my mission had it, 4 of which were here in Turbaco.  My companion had it!  It's supposedly super bad and I think some missionaries have been sent home because they were so sick.  My companion said he was down for like 3 days and the effects last for up to a year!  But don't worry, I've been lathering up with a ton of repelent to stay safe!  So cross your fingers that I don't get it!   I sleep with a mosquito net over my bed.  I didn't use it in Barranquilla because there weren't really any mosquitos.  Here there's a ton and there's Chikunguña!



When I got here the house kind of sucked a little.  We spent a lot of time cleaning and fixing things up and so it's a little better now!  Also one morning we woke up and there was a little pile of crap on the floor, like little pellets so we might have a rat problem!  My companion tells me that it's bat poop though.  But still, poop is poop and we need to take care of this problem! 

There's also some pretty funky things here!  The first was when we were walking to lunch and I saw a guy that had an umbrella welded to his motorcycle haha!  There's also a lot of little motorcycle taxis, like a cart behind a motorcycle, which is actually pretty nice for us because it helps us get around fast and is a lot cheaper than a taxi like in Barranquilla!

Well I'm super excited to be here working with the ward, of which is super great, and working in the Lord's work! How great!  Oh and we might have a baptism this week too, so stay tuned!  I'll send some pics of last Monday before I got transfered (the first 3 pictures)




and some of here in Turbaco!  

The pictures looking at the rooftops are a view from my apartment.  
I tried to make it so you could see how green it is but it doesn't really do it justice.




Well I love and miss you all! Have a great week!

Elder Crandall