"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, October 13, 2014

UPS AND DOWNS

OCTOBER 13, 2014


BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Arevalo.

Hey guys!

Sorry I don't really have too much to say this week!  Not too much happened!  Teaching and becoming better everyday! But I guess that's the goal.  Also this upcoming week we have our interviews with President Searle and all that comes with that.  Usually when we have our interviews Sister Searle makes cookies and I'm really looking forward to that.  It's been too long since I've had some cookies!

I'm already 9 months into my mission.  Sometimes it feels like I just got here and other times it feels like I've been here an eternity.  The ups and downs of a mission!  Something I've come to learn and accept here in the mission is that friction, or to say adversity, helps us grow stronger.  It's definitely hard to accept and it does sound appealing to have a nice easy life, but that's not how it's suppose to be and even less how it's going to be.  But oh well!

I definitely had a tough week. This Sunday we were having just a good day and then one of the members came up to me and started yelling at me that I was the reason why his nephew hasn't been baptized yet because we didn't go by his house.  Really we did but his nephew wasn't there.  That just kind of hit me in the heart.  I mean we have people reject us all the time and I've heard hurtful things in the past, but this one really hit me home. I really enjoyed the talk during General Conference, I forget which talk, but he talked about the little boys.  One of them got hurt and the other helped him feel better, and the best part was that the hurt little boy, after he was all fixed up, went out to help others. This one really hit me. I feel as though we all are hurt in one way or another, at one time or more in our lives, but we can all get up and help others the way that we have been helped. Way cool!

So yesterday we were at Pedro and Yorman's house for a lesson.  After they told me to coordinate with Elder Wilson, the missionary that taught Pedro who just so happens to be in the same stake as us, when we can come over for a BBQ type thing.  They both love to cook and cook differently than the normal rice and chicken we get all the time since they are not from here in Baranquilla.  So hopefully, we will be doing that soon if we can get it approved!

Well everyone seems to be doing good and progressing here in Ciudadela. Time is really going so fast!  Tonight we also have a Family home evening activity planned with the Sarmiento family:  Grey, Glosber, Camilo, Paula, Stefany, and Didier.  They were all baptized (except Glosber) about 4 months ago and Glosber is scheduled to be baptized November 8th, the Saturday after transfers.  I really hope I can stay one more transfer to be here when he gets baptized!  Their family is so fun and I'm excited for tonight.

All is well here!  I can't believe it's almost mid way through October!  I'll try to get some pictures today if I have time.  Stay safe and choose the right!

Elder Crandall