"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, September 1, 2014

SPIRITUAL EYES

SEPTEMBER 1, 2014



BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Baquerizo

Family and Friends,

I'm doing great!  Hope all is well!  This week was definitely one to remember with having Elder Christofferson come and talk to us.  He talked to us missionaries for 3 hours in the morning and it was all really good.  He also greeted and shook the hand of every one of the missionaries.  There are 200 of us!  Really spiritual.  I learned this last week that there are only 26 Americans out of the 200 that are here.  Also Elder Waddel of the seventy, Elder Soares of the presidency of the seventy, and their spouses came.  It was cool because every single one of them talked including the spouses and we had the meeting in 3 languages!  Elder Waddels wife spoke in English, Elder Soares wife spoke in Portuguese, and the rest, including Elder Christofferson and his wife, spoke in Spanish!  Way neat!  I feel as though there were a couple main themes: obedience, the importance of the spirit, and taking advantage of our 2 hours of study in the morning.  Really uplifting and you could definitely feel the spirit very strong.

It really made me think about how we can help be representatives of Jesus Christ and how we can help people to feel His love for them through us.  This is what causes people to be motivated to repent and change, this is what caused me to repent and change!  How great of a principle that we can change!  I'm so very grateful for that.  The thing is that people have to look through their spiritual eyes.  Sometimes people confront us and just rant and want answers.  Often times we give them answers but it doesn't suffice, because they are only looking at things with their physical eyes, not with their spiritual ones.  They aren't looking at the eternal aspect of things!  How very grateful I am for the gospel and that I can be here bringing this to people testifying that it is true!

Also this week S---, the daughter of M---, a recently baptized member, will be getting baptized this week.  I couldn't be more happy for her!  I'm really going to miss that family when I leave.  They have been so awesome!  Really everyone has been so awesome!  I really am going to miss this ward.  It's the best!

Cool to hear that mom ate a Colombian dish (Arepa - Colombian Corn Cake, Eggs Sunny Side Up and Chorizo at Norma's in New York City). Did it have rice? Haha, I only eat rice here.  I remember before I left, my favorite dish that mom would make was rice with chicken.  I'm not so sure that it will be my favorite when I get back after eating it everyday... But it's okay!  I'm adjusted to the food, and eating really big lunches and small dinners. I'll have to readjust when I get back!  Also this week we went to Y---'s house for lunch.  He's from somewhere more inland and not from Barranquilla so he cooks things a little differently which is way good.  He also taught us how to make these things called patacom, or something like that.  They're these fried banana things that I think are good, but supposedly the other gringos don't really like them, haha.  I'll have to make them when I get back!

Well I love and miss you all!  I don't have any pics right now to share but later today we are going out to eat and going bowling because it's the birthday of a sister missionary in our district.   I'll get pics then but I'm not sure if we will have time to come back to the computers so we will just have to wait and see.  Well love you all!  Have a great and safe week!











Love,
E Crandall