"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, September 22, 2014

ARROYO - Street Rivers

SEPTEMBER 22, 2014


BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Baquerizo

Hey everyone!

Hope all is well.  Another busy week!  We had a lot of rain!  The beginning of the day it would be blazing hot and then in the afternoon it would start to rain and make everything more humid!  I was sweating like crazy!  But it's all good now! Also, when it rains, the streets turn into rivers, and I mean rivers!  We saw our first real river, or arroyo!  






Believe it or not, I really think the water was moving at about 45 to 50 mph.  Really scary! People would throw like old chairs and stuff into it and in seconds it would be half a mile down the way! Sometimes the water moves cars and buses! I'll include a pic but I don't think it will do it justice.  You have to search on youtube arroyos de barranquilla.  Do it! 

Despite all the rain, we were left 2 days this week without water which was kind of a bummer.  Luckily we have a reserve tank so we could fish out water to shower and stuff but it really makes me thankful for running water!  Another cool thing happened this week! So we were walking around from lesson to lesson as usual but inbetween one of them this guy flagged us down.  He looked like a tourist which surprised me because there are never tourists in the area where i am!  So he comes over to us and sure enough he was a tourist, more or less.  His wife is from here in Barranquilla but he is from Italy!  He spoke a little English but he said he has been talking to the missionaries over there in Italy and is wanting to learn more.  Sadly, he was leaving back to Italy the next week but we gave him the address of the church and our numbers so he could call.  He said he will return again in January and would like to come talk to us!  Too cool!


And Andres did get baptized on Saturday!  The spirit was way strong and it was a very sweet experience. I'm so thankful that he has made the decision to follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding the authority from God.  How great of a blessing!  I know he will be so very blessed and keep going until the end and make it to make those sacred covenants in the temple!

Sunday in church 3 of us missionaries had to give talks.  I was actually a little glad about because I know that there is a chance that I could be leaving tomorrow and so it was kind of like going out with a bang, if I'm going out at all.  Also we were running around all day yesterday to all the members to say goodbye from Elder Baquerizo and maybe goodbye from me.  We also took a lot of pictures which I'll include!  So yeah that brings me to the next sad topic!  Elder Baquerizo goes home tomorrow and I might change areas because I've been here for 7 and a half months now.  I really cannot express my gratitude enough to the Savior for such a blessing to work here in Ciudadela.  I love this ward!  So stay tuned next week to see what happens!









Well love and miss you all!

Elder Crandall