"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, August 25, 2014

THE RAINS CAME DOWN AND THE FLOODS CAME UP

AUGUST 25, 2014



BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Baquerizo

Hey!

All is well here in hot Barranquilla!  Well, actually it rained pretty hard 2 days this week.  I got some pics of the streets turning into rivers that I'll include!  We also had to cross the street a few times so I had water mid shin and my shoes were soaked! It was also pretty humid with all the rain but all is well!




Yeah crazy that I've been out this long!  I'll be starting my 9th month in September. Too weird! Thanks for reminding me that it is Mark's birthday this week.  I have that calendar with all the birthdays but I just have been a little busy lately and haven't had a chance to look at it.  Thanks! Too fun that you get to go back out to New York this week. Tell everyone hi from me!   

Well, where to start!  This was a really good week!  A cool thing that happened last Monday is that we had a family home evening with A--- and M--- and we talked about living prophets and talked about President Monson, our living prophet today, and then watched the movie about him and they got teary eyed!  Way cool!  The spirit was definitely really strong there.  They are progressing so much and had their baptismal date for this upcoming week but we had to move it due to economic problems.  But the Stake President here has been working with them and everything which is pretty cool and so they are solid for 2 or 3 weeks!

Also this week we had an activity in the ward and played a big game of charades.  I went up and picked the card Spiderman so I was jumping around shooting webs and stuff.  I looked pretty dumb on the video but oh well!  It was pretty fun!  And it was also cool because some of our less active members went.  I know I say this just about every week, but I really love this ward and the people here!  They're all so great and nice to everyone!  I'm really going to miss it!

So on Friday night after a long day of working we got to the house and realized that we didn't have the keys to the apartment and that we left them inside the house.  We can't just jump through the window or anything because all of the houses here have thick iron bars on the windows and doors and stuff.  So as we were thinking about what to do, we decided to try to get the keys.  So we slid the window open, I reached up and grabbed the curtain rod, and carefully took it off as well as the curtains.  We figured the keys had to be on the desk where we always keep them, but it was dark and we have a ton of stuff on our desks and the desks are about 8 feet from the window!  So carefully we purged the desk and slid things around a bit with the pole until we found the keys!  So with the keys in sight we had to hit them off the desk and onto the ground and bring them over to the window.  My arm couldn't fit through the bars to grab them but luckily Elder Baquerizo could!  Haha it was a pretty funny story that I had to tell you guys!

Elder Todd Christofferson is coming Thrusday to talk with the missionaries!  I couldn't be more excited, for 3 reasons!  The first, and most obvious, is that an Apostle of God will be here talking to us missionaries and all the missionaries from the mission will be traveling here to Barranquilla to see and talk to him.  Two: when we have big meetings like this we usually get some fast food lunch which will be a delightful change from rice and chicken everyday.  Three: air conditioning all day!  I am definitely looking forward to that!

Here are some pictures from this week.  We went to the Junior stadium today.   The Colombian National team has played there!  We were pretty lucky that we got in.
















We walked up and the security guy was like, you've can only be in here like 10 minutes.  Then another security guy kind of showed us around a little bit and we got to take some pics.  Way cool!


Well I'm doing good here in Ciudadela.  Working hard and really growing a lot!  Nothing could be better!  Stay safe, choose the right, and have a great week everyone!

E Crandall