"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, August 11, 2014

DROUGHT

AUGUST 11, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Acevedo

Everyone!

Hope all is well!  Things are good here.  This may very well be my last Monday here in Ciudadela.  We find out tonight if I leave or not.  I kind of want to stay here though.  The people here are so great and humble.  I LOVE THIS WARD!  I really love the people here and love working for the Lord here!  There has been such growth in these last 6 months here and I'm thankful to have been a part of it!   And hope to be a part of it at least for another 6 weeks!  But I guess the Lord knows best and he will put me where I need to be!

Speaking of changes, the bishop in the ward here changed yesterday! The previous bishop had been in for about 7 years. The new bishop is the old Secretary, but the thing is he is only 26! So young! Very humble though!  I think he will make a great bishop! His wife is also expecting their first child within the next month or two.

Here are some pics from this last week!  We were helping a member shuck some corn and in the pic of my companion we found a caterpillar or slug or something eating away at the corn!



Hmm... so this week was just another normal week I guess!  Nothing too new!  Sis. Acosta has been writing me in Spanish. It's helping me in my writing.  That is one of the hardest things to do.  I want to become good though at writing and talking and everything in Spanish.  We had a "noche de hermanamiento" or an activity in the church for everyone including new converts, less actives, investigators, and whoever wants to come!  Usually the missionaries have organized it in the past but we got the ward to help take the load on this one so the Relief Society took charge and planned the activity!  Way cool and fun! 

Well some great things have been happening here in Ciudadela.  Sis. B------ lost her job and they already were suffering a little economically.  They moved a couple blocks away but to a really dangerous area that we missionaries are not allowed to enter.  For example, they told us that they get robbed almost everyday and a person was murdered down there last weekend and a baby was stolen.  Pretty bad.  Also their living conditions are terrible.  They live in a one room habitation with no windows which is just terrible in this heat.  The power goes out nearly everyday too.  To make it worst Sis. B--- told us that she only had a little oil and rice to feed the family for  the week.  But what's even better is that we talked with Sis. E-- (the older lady recent convert who owns the Pizzaria) and when we passed by there the other day we saw Sis. B--- working there. Wow! Sis. E-- saves the day!  She really is a great example with such a sweet heart!

Rain pouring down!
Also yesterday it rained pretty hard!  Luckily we were in the house but wow!  It was the first time in a while that it has rained here!  There's been a drought!  Some areas of the mission don't have running water because of it, like Santa Marta, so the missionaries there have to buy their water in bags or bottles.  Hopefully there will be more rain soon because I might get changed to Santa Marta!!

Well I don't have too much to write or say this week!  Stay tuned for next week though!  I might stay here or maybe I'll go to Cartagena where it's like 20 degrees hotter than here!  I could go to Santa Marta and have to buy my water to bathe, or some other place!  Who knows!  All I know is that it is in the Lord's hands!

Stay safe! Love and miss you all!

E Crandall