"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, July 21, 2014

WILD IGUANAS & INDEPENDENCE DAY

JULY 21, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Acevedo

Hey everyone!


Hope all is well!  Sorry in advance if I have some grammatical errors and you can't understand me all too well.  I feel like I'm in the limbo stage where I only talk Spanish and then am trying to talk English now in this email.  Hopefully it will make sense!

Well, where to begin!  So this week I saw some wild Iguanas!  I guess they're all over here, especially in the more eastern parts of the coast here.  My companion said in Maicow, another city, he ate iguanas and other weird things like that.  But luckily for me, Maicow and that area surrounding it, is too dangerous for gringos like me so I will not be serving part of my mission there.  Also this week my companion's mom had her baby!  He's no longer the only child, but an older brother! How cool!

Also this week I had an interchange with one of my zone leaders, Elder Bastos, from Brazil.  It was way fun.  I've known him for a while now and so it was a fun day.  We went to an old investigator and she just argued with us a lot, but other than that it was a pretty normal fun day! Oh, and he also taught me how to pray in Portuguese!  Another thing he told me and that I found out this week is that Elder Christofferson from the Twelve Apostles will be coming here next month to talk with the missionaries and with some of the stakes here.  How cool!  I'm definitely excited for that.

The houses here about the size of our kitchen at home.  All the houses have bars on the windows and doors and stuff, but it's okay.  They're very modest.  It's just a different way of living which has provided me with a different view and aspect on things as well as different problems to solve.  I also met some really neat people this week.  So this week we went to visit this elderly woman (the same that we found the rat in her house) and one of her daughters was there also.  This daughter of hers, with her husband, is currently serving the first Genealogical Mission here in Colombia in Medellin.  She is there with her husband high up in the mountains with some other priests from the catholic church and they are sorting through very very old books and records finding names and dates.  She showed us some pictures and I was just amazed!  It really makes me want to be that kind of missionary later in my life!  Who knows, maybe I will!

So yesterday was the Independence Day of Colombia.  It was pretty crazy and there was crazy traffic.  To makes things more hectic, the futbol team, Junior, played against a team from Europe called Monaco.  It's a pretty famous team that has Falcao and James Rodriguez, two of the best from Colombia.  Also the stadium is in my area, so things were pretty hectic. We needed to get to an investigator's house and it took us like an hour to find a taxi that would actually take us there.  But things all ended up good and safe.

Well this week was pretty busy and my eye is still twitching, but all in all, I'm good!  I'm growing so much spiritually and personally here.  Things are great.  Well I hope everyone has a great and safe week!  Take care!

E Crandall