"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, July 14, 2014

THE REFINER'S FIRE

JULY 14, 2014


BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Acevedo

Family and Friends,


Hope all is well!  All is well here.  A very busy week!  I feel so tired and my right eye has been twitching for 3 days straight!  This week felt really long and better and worse all at the same time!  But we have been doing a lot of work lately!  And sorry in advance, I didn't have a chance to take any pics this week!

Well, where to start!  So my companion is an only child... but right now his mom is pregnant and is going to have a baby this upcoming week which is pretty exciting for him and his family.  A new baby sister for him!  He's been pretty anxious because I guess it was supposed to come this week but he found out today that she still hasn't had her yet, so we'll have to wait and see!

Also we have been continuing to teach ¨--------,¨ the champetta singer, and he has been progressing great!  He has even come to church 3 weeks in a row and brought his family!  The only thing is that he needs to get married.  To be honest that's a real problem here in this mission.  Many people are just living in free unions for 10, 20, 30 years sometimes.  All 6 of our serious investigators need to get married!  It makes the process a little longer, but hey, I have patience!  Another cool thing is that they have a miniature German Schnauzer just like my family had when I was little!  It pulled my heart strings a little when I first saw it.  Too fun though!

Another thing I found out this week is that my companion loves playing dominoes. Many Colombians play dominoes and are out in the streets, with their friends, just everywhere playing dominoes, and, well, Elder Acevedo is Colombian also so he loves it too!  So I'm learning through him.

So the World Cup has ended!  It's made the missionary work kind of hard at times because many of the people are glued to their TVs watching the games.  But it has been fun to see more fully soccer here in Colombia than I ever have.

A cool thing I have been thinking about lately has been about challenges we face everyday in our life and how much we really grow from them.  (Also my brother Brett sent me an email in which he relayed to me a neat example that I would like to share).  So for those of you that have never been to Barranquilla, Colombia, take my word for it, it is HOT here.  It also doesn't help that there is a lot of humidity.  I'm sweating bullets all day and don't understand how the people here don't sweat!  So the heat here that I am enduring can be paralleled to the heat of a gold refiner.  A gold refiner takes raw rock and material and basically puts it into a really hot fire stove.  With time and heat the once raw material becomes a precious gold.  Challenges too in our life are as a refiners fire.  They're hard, and they can be hot, trust me, and we may not like them.  But after the process, we come out new and more precious than before.  With hope, patience, and faith, we all may view life¨s most bitter moments as a refiners fire, a time to learn, grow and progress.

Well, I'm still keeping on and I hope everyone else is too!  Love and miss you all!

E Crandall