"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, July 28, 2014

SPICE GIRLS

JULY 28, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Acevedo


Hey everyone!

Hope all is well.  All is well here.  The guy next to me in this computer cafe is blasting Spice Girls. If I was back home I might have been a little annoyed, but right now, I don't mind.  It's a nice change from all the Champetta!   When does Rachel start school?   Send me some pics!

Well, what to say!  This week was pretty good.  Our numbers were a little low so we´re probably going to get a little heat from our leaders but oh well.   I feel like this was the most successful week we've had yet and the only opinion that really matters is God´s!  So this week we had our interviews with our mission president.  He is awesome and way nice.  The focus here in our mission is changing and so now we are focusing a lot more on recent converts and less active members.  I think it's a really great change in focus.  I have seen in the time that I have been here that by working with less actives and recent converts, we find more investigators.  It's the famous double!  But really, when investigators are connected to one of those two groups they progress and understand so much!  It's great!  The problem here in Ciudadela is that we have about 1000 members on the records and only about 140 attending.  If we rescued every member on our list we would have a new stake here!  But anyway, everyday we try to find more and more less actives and sometimes we find that people haven't lived at an address for more than 15 years!  This last week we found one lady that had died even.  A lot of work to be done! But it's fun and I'm enjoying it.

Also while looking for those people we found one lady that spoke only English!  She was from a tourist island and was vacationing here.  She said "Sorry guys I don't speak Spanish" so I responded, "Hey, me neither!" so we got talking to her a little which was cool.  The first person that I've been able to talk with in English here!  The Spanish is coming along though.  I feel like I can really talk and communicate with everyone now.  Such a blessing!

Another cool thing that happened this week was that G-------- quit drinking coffee!  Wow!  And what's even cooler is that we didn't even do anything!  He just did it by himself!  So now he has a baptismal date and everything!  The only problem is that it's after the next change and there's a chance that I'll be leaving this change since I've been in this area for 6 months.  I'll definitely be sad to leave here.  I really love all of the people!  Nothing really has brought me such joy as watching the gospel change lives!  I love being one of God´s foot soldiers!

Also -------- keeps coming to church.  So he's been working on some new songs that he shows us.  He showed us one of his old songs that was a "hit" but the cool thing is that it actually was a hit here on Colombia!  My companion actually knew this song!  Before we just thought him saying "my hit songs" was an embelishment or something like that.  But hey, way cool!

The pics included are of my companion and a big centipede we found in our house




That's about it for this week.  I'm still keeping on and I hope you all do the same!  This mission is transforming me soo much and really solidifying my testimony.  Love and miss you guys so much!  Keep safe, keep faith!

E Crandall