"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, June 23, 2014

BE COURAGEOUS

JUNE 23, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Villarreal



Hey!

All is well here and hope all is well there (wherever you, the reader, may be).   Wow, I'm so jealous Dad, Mom and Rachel went to Europe.  That all sounds way amazing and so much fun! Glad to hear that it was a really fun time.  I loved seeing all the pictures!  Also way neat to hear that Kimber had her baby! So exciting!! Cant wait to see her too!

Another week and so many things!  To start, we had a big zone conference with our president of the mission, President Searle, and it was really great.  We had like a little over 100 missionaries there.  Also, before they asked everyone to prepare a 5 minute talk because 3 people were going to give them during the meeting and, of course, I was chosen.  But all went well! 

Another fun and funny thing happened this week.  There is this restaurant fast food type place called McGordos that we like to go to because the food is relatively cheap and it is the only place with air conditioning.  The fun thing is that McGordo himself usually comes and talks to us!  The big man himself!  We usually talk about futbol and other things alike but its still pretty fun!

Also a few weeks back, I don't know if I mentioned this in my email, but we met this more or less famous Champetta singer (I'm not sure really how famous you can be by singing champetta) that is a less active member and we taught him only one lesson and then kind of forgot about him because he didn't come to church or really keep the other commitments.  But anyway this week he came to church!  I honestly forgot his real name but his ¨artistic name¨ or rap name is --------.  So I had to call him Brother -------- for a little until he told us his real name.  We will be looking forward to teaching him a little more this week. 

During this week I read a talk my mom sent me from General Conference in April that kind of had a cool impact on me.  I'm not sure if she really knew why she sent it to me, but now I know! It's from President Monson about Courage, the one from Priesthood meeting I think.  A quote that I really like says that we need ¨courage not only to die manfully, but the courage to live decently.¨  This kind of hit me hard because it kind of goes along with something that I've been thinking about for a while.  Our courage in life won't always be like Abinidi in the Book of Mormon, who gave his life instead of denying the faith, or like Daniel of the Bible, who prayed despite rules against it.  More than not, we hear about the courageous soldier, or the brave firefighter, but our tests of courage need not always be so dramatic or all at once.  All too often, for me at least, my tests of courage are small, correcting a wrong when needed, or pushing harder in life than I would like.  Perhaps these tests of courage go unnoticed to the world, but I know that they never will go unnoticed to our Savior.  Let us all be courageous!

Have a great week! Love and miss you all!

E Crandall