"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, May 19, 2014

SLAPSHOTS AND FUTBOL

MAY 19, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Villarreal

Hey everyone!

Hope all is well where you guys live!  All is well here in Colombia.  It felt like an oven this week and our house was super hot but it's beginning to be the norm here.  

I looked at the calendar Mom gave me last night and saw that Dennis has a birthday this week and that graduation is this week.  Happy Birthday Dennis!   That's really crazy and I still remember graduation day and everything.  It doesn't seem like it has been that long since I've graduated or even been gone.  I feel like life now will progressively seem to move faster because I am getting older and will have more time in my life and will have acquired more memories.  It's a weird thing to think about for me.

Well this week was eventful.  On Tuesday we were able to do some service for an older woman in our ward.  We helped her clean out this whole room full of furniture and old things and we found a rat!  My companion took the broom that we had and when it began to make a run for the door he slapshot the rat like a hockey puck into the wall where it became paralyzed or was knocked out or something.  Then he made the final killing blow after that.  It was pretty gross haha!  He told me that a rat used to live in our house before I came and that he has killed like 3 or 4 rats in his mission! Pretty nasty!

Also this week we bought official World Cup sticker collection books!  They're really cheap here I guess and you can buy like 75 stickers for like 5 dollars!  It's fun to have and I'll include some pictures of the book.  I think I'll definitely come home liking soccer more than I did before!



Yesterday the soccer team of Barranquilla, Junior, played in the national cup, or the final match here in Barranquilla.  The stadium is here in our area so it was pretty dangerous to be out. Junior did win 1 to 0.  When they scored the goal, everyone here went crazy and you could hear people screaming and blowing air horns or something.  The people here, at least in our area, love Junior.

I feel like the world is trending away from God.  I see the world becoming more and more ´worldy´ and not giving a thought about who God is or the importance of him.  It's a thing I see here and I saw back at home.  People now tend to believe just what sounds good or fits with their personality.  Some people say they have faith but don't act or some people believe but only what fits for them.  But God is crucial to all of our lives!  This time here on Earth is relatively, and in reality, sooo short but so essential.  It's the test that determines our eternal destiny.  I'm trying now to show people that and help them feel it.

Everything though is going great.  There is a transfer on Wednesday and I will be ending my training.  I'm not sure yet what will be happening because they call on Tuesday night to let us know what is going on.  I might stay here or I might leave, but I think that my companion and I will stay here in this area because we've been doing good and he only has 6 weeks left in his mission.

Love and miss you all! Have a great week!

E Crandall