"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, March 10, 2014

TO GET SOMETHING YOU'VE NEVER HAD

MARCH 10, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Villarreal

Hey everyone!

I found the exclamation mark! [on the computer]   Well this week has been great. Its been nice to be able to go out and work again and not have to sit around because of Carnival.  And this week I wrote my thoughts on a piece of paper so hopefully they will be more organized than last week. 

It's hard out here but I can really feel the Lord helping ease my burdens and helping me fulfill my responsibilities. He also is teaching me a lot!  This week has been good for me. We found 10 new investigators and 4 with a baptismal date.   I'm able to teach a little and understand more and more every day.  I'm beginning to be able to form relationships too with the investigators and members.  Every day we have lunch at a different member's house and I'm able to talk with them more and more.  One family, the Salas family, feeds us often.  We went there two nights ago for a birthday of one of the daughters.  It's neat and they're really nice.   They told me last night that they are praying for me to learn the language.  I also have another neat connection to them because I met their son in the CCM [in Bogota] my first week.

So more about my mission and area here:  I am in South Barranquilla and haven't seen the water and I'm not sure if I will.  There are wild cats and dogs EVERYWHERE!  They don't really bother anything and a lot of them sleep all day, I think because it is really hot.  Oh, and this week we had a ward activity and played games and had other activities.  It was really fun and funny and was great because some of our investigators came.  The work here is great!  Also I found out this week that my companion was an under water welder before the mission.  He only did that for a little though and then worked in administration for the company.  He is 24 years old.

Oh I haven't said how we wash our clothes.  So every P day we call up a laundry place and they bring us washers, kind of like rent a washer.  So we then wash our clothes.  Today while putting my clothes in the washer I found a cockroach the size of my pinky.  Pretty nasty!.  I just tried not think about how it got there and everything!  haha!   Then in the washing machine we add our own water and detergent.  It's pretty much just like a giant blender because it just spins around the clothes.  Then when they're done washing, you rinse the soapy water out and put it into this other compartment and it's like a giant strainer.   Next you pour clean water on them.  Then you press a few buttons and the strainer thing spins really really fast for only 5 minutes and the clothes come out pretty much dry.  Pretty amazing!  Finally you hang up the clothes.   Then we call the place and they come and take the washers back.   It's kind of cool.  That's how we wash our clothes.  haha!

So my thought for this week is from a quote from Elder Richard G. Scott's talk:
it says: 

"To reach a goal you have never before attained,
you must do things you have never before done."

How cool of a quote!  I feel like sometimes in my life I want something new or to be happier but I don't change my ways or anything and just keep doing the same thing.  I think we can't expect something different by doing the same things.  I have seen in my life the happiness I receive as I shift my course more towards the teachings and ways of our Savior Jesus Christ and his gospel.

Sorry I don't have any pictures to attach this week.  I haven't had any chance to take any.  I'll try to get at least one for next week.  Well I hope that everyone is doing great!  

Love and miss you all!

Elder Crandall