"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, March 3, 2014

THE ATONEMENT

MARCH 3, 2014

BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Villarrell

Hey guys,

So I'm here in my new area which is in Barranquilla, so I am in the city.  It is terribly hot here and super humid! You never really stop sweating!    I've never been so sweaty in my life!   I sweat literally 24/7.  We have fans that blast at us all night, which is nice, but even then it doesn't get below 83 degrees according to my clock.

Kurt's first apartment in Barranquilla

All is well, though.  My regular P-days will be MONDAY now.  My first shower was a bucket shower where I dumped water on myself because our water turned off!  My companion said it was the first time it happened.  haha!  

Its been crazy here the last few days though because of a holiday or something called Carnival.  The streets are pretty dangerous at this time.  We have had to stay inside SaturdaySundayMonday, and Tuesday and only allowed to go to church by taxi.

Kurt's first apartment in Barranquilla
It's given me a lot of time to study and regenerate which has been nice.  I understand this is the first part of my mission.  I also just have to always remember that the Lord has a plan for me.  The Lord does really bless us in his infinite mercy.  I taught my first lesson to a kid that is like 13 and he reminded me of Davis [nephew] a lot.  The language is coming along though and I'm able to communicate and teach a little.  

My companion's name is Elder Villarreal and he is from Panama.  He knows some English which is nice so he can help me.  My companion also has some Stapley Junior High basketball shorts.  haha!   He said he got them from Elder Norberg!  Well hope everyone is doing great!  The people in my ward are really nice and understanding.   I got up and bore my testimony in sacrament meeting yesterday which was cool.  

We live under the stake president. he told me that sometimes he goes to Dallas for his work. I'm not quite sure what he does though. So there are 8 different areas within my mission and about 200 missionaries and only 38 Americans.  So I most likely will never see them [American missionaries] unless at conferences or something.  I'm not quite sure how things work yet.

So my inspirational thought this week has to do with the atonement.   Just kind of a short message but through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ in the garden for all of our sins, we are able to repent.  I know this simple and short truth to be true and one of the most vital things in our lives.

Well thanks everyone. If you want to send letters or packages, please send them to the mission home address.  [right side of blog]  Love and thinking about you all.

Love Elder Crandall