"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Monday, March 31, 2014

PROPHETS ON A TOWER

MARCH 31, 2014
BARRANQUILLA
Ciudadela Ward, El Carmen Stake
Companion:  Elder Villarreal


Family and friends!

Hope everything is going great up there in the North!  Everything is going great down here in Colombia.  It hasn't been too hot this week, which was a relief, and things are beginning to run smoothly.  Tomorrow I have an interchange with our District Leader for the day which means he will be my companion for the day to see my progress.   I'm a little nervous because I don't really know the area but I know I'll be fine! 

An average day is like this:  Wake up and go play basketball with 2 other missionaries in our district.  Then we come back and shower and eat.  Then we begin our studying, first personal study and then companionship study.  Then we go to lunch at a members house, then we start our appointments visiting investigators, less actives, and members.   Then we come back to our house and sometimes eat a little snack and plan for the following day and then we get ready for bed by taking a shower or whatever.  Because we sweat so much we take 2 showers everyday!  We just walk everywhere but sometimes we'll take a taxi if someplace is really far away.  Our apartment is on the very edge of our area that we proselyte in so we have to kind of walk a lot.

We haven't given tours yet of our church building and I'm not sure if we will.  We don't teach English classes right now but my companion wants to begin.  Right now though we teach a New Testament class every Wednesday.  I couldn't really get a good picture today sorry.  But I was able to get this one of our street and the back of my companion haha!  He doesn't really like pictures so this was the best I could do today.  



Also we went to the mall and ate Burger King with two other missionaries in our district. It was a way nice and a cool mall!  It was in North Barranquilla in a wealthy part of the city.  It was 6 stories high.  I felt like a king today sitting in the Burger King.  There was a TV high on the wall with ESPN on watching sports.  I also caught a glimpse of the ocean.  It was way cool!

We meet with our district every week.  There are 6 missionaries in it, including me.  We meet with our zone once a month.  And I'm not sure how often we meet with the mission president.  It might be quarterly.  We get to watch Church Conference this week at the Ward Building or the Stake Center, I think.  It is in Spanish though.  They said in one stake where the president lives it is shown in English but I am not in that stake. My apartment is like a 30 minutes drive from the mission office I think.  I haven't been there yet so I don't really know.  I hope it will be good.  I'm really looking forward to listening to MOTAB sing!  I think that would be one of the greatest opportunities to sing in that choir.  

So last week I noticed that I haven't really been talking too much about my investigators and the other people I've been meeting here, which is a big part of the mission, so I'll start informing more about that!   So two of our investigators, Y-------- and M--------, are two great people. Both super smart and want to learn more.  They were investigators before I came to the area. They feed us food every time we go over there which is nice.  They really want to be baptized and stuff but just have to get married first.   We have a date set for their baptisms and I think and hope that they'll get married before then!

Other investigators that I wanted to talk about also lead into my spiritual thought for the day so I'll kind of mix them both together.  So there is the O-------- family.  B--------, the mother, is a less active member that hasn't been active for like 20 years but now really wants to come back and hasn't missed a day in 6 weeks.  She has a son, M--------, who is 15 and he is super spiritual.  He has had a testimony nearly the entire time we've been teaching them which is great!  B-------- also has a daughter, V--------, who is 13 and is very spiritual too.  Also in the home when we teach is a cousin, J--------, who is 16, and he is a great guy too.  So this past week we were continuing to teach them and we decided to ask them the baptismal interview questions to see if we needed to teach more or something.  When we came to modern day prophets, they said they didn't have a testimony about that.  So we began to teach and it just so happened that my companion had a DVD with a little movie that explained prophets so very well.  How great!  What else is great is that we have conference this week and so they will be able to watch and feel the spirit so strong!  Prophets are essential to God´s church here on this earth, they are like on a tower and are able to see unseen dangers and communicate to us the will of God.  I personally have a testimony of the importance of prophets and revelation in our day which in turn helps me teach it to others!  So great and happy!

Well I hope everyone is doing great! Love and miss you all!

Elder Crandall