"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Friday, February 21, 2014

THE STILL SMALL VOICE

FEBRUARY 21, 2014

BOGOTA, COLOMBIA CCM
Companion:  Elder Nogales

Hey Everyone!

Hope everything is going great!  It's rained here everyday for the last week and I have loved it!  The other American in my room says that I sleep talk sometimes in Spanish which is pretty funny, but a good thing right?!   I'm just beginning to settle into the mission life and I leave next Tuesday and I'm not sure when I'll be able to write next but when I do, I will be in my first official area of my mission!  I can't wait to see the temple (Gilbert, Arizona Temple) when I get back!  And Happy Birthday Dad! 



Elder Crandall & Elder Nogalas
So my companion, Elder Nogalas, is from Santiago Chile.  How cool!  Also he says that he knows Isaac Strong and has gone out teaching with him before which is even cooler! He is a great kid and he will be a great missionary.  He is a great and funny kid and has helped me with my Spanish a lot. I feel like I work a lot better in unity with him in our fake mock lessons too which is cool. I'll add some pictures with him! He is the one wearing the Barcelona jersey, or the blue and red striped one!

Elder Nogalas & Elder Crandall

The fieldtrip thing we went on last week was way cool! So there are these mountains that shoot straight up on the side of Bogota and we got to take a gondola like thing up to the top!




There was an amazing view from up there!




Also on a mountain top right next to us there was a big Jesus the Christ statue which was way neat to see. Anyway, it was nice to be able to go there and experience it!  Bogota is huge!  The city went on for as far as I could see in pretty much all directions.




[Note from Kurt's mom:  I received a nice email from a man from Utah, Paul Savage, who had randomly run into Kurt and the other missionaries on their Pday.  He was nice enough to take a picture and then take the time to send this email to all the missionaries moms!  It was such a treat to get a picture mid week with Kurt!]  

Well I feel like I'm just getting settled in to the mission life.  The Lord is helping and I realize that everything happening will just take time and is a process kind of like life. We get to improve and try to achieve attributes and other Christ-like things.


Okay for the spiritual thought I wanted to talk about a little excerpt I heard in a devotional this last week. I'm taking it a little out of context but I think it is kind of universally applicable. It is by President Eyring and he said "pay close attention and you too can know" A good scripture that goes along with this is in 1 Kings 19:11-12 and it talks about how the spirit talks in a still small voice. I feel like we sometimes forget this and want answers now and don't listen for the answers to come. I can testify that the spirit does indeed speak to us and we all but need to listen for it and we will recieve answers, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Well everyone I'm thinking about you and love you all!

Love, Elder Crandall