"Dear Elder Crandall: you are hereby called to serve as a missionary
for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
You are assigned to labor in the Colombia Barranquilla Mission.
It is anticipated that you will serve a period of 24 months...
You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language."

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE

FAVORITE SCRIPTURE:
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the power of the Lamb of God,
that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb,
and upon the covenant people of the Lord,
who were scattered upon all the face of the earth;
and they were armed with righteousness
and with the power of God in great glory."
(1 Nephi 14:14)

Friday, February 7, 2014

COINS AROUND THE WORLD

FEBRUARY 7, 2014

Bogota, Colombia CCM

Hey everybody!

This week has been filled with so many awesome experiences. First of all, it is raining here in Bogota for pretty much for the first time that I've been here and its great!  Other missionaries here in the CCM from Barranquilla have said that it rains a lot in Barranquilla so I think I will like it there! They also said that it gets really hot! Well on Tuesday we got 2 new English speakers and since there was only 2 of them they got to come into our class. One is from Australia and the other is from San Diego! Both of them are way cool guys. Along with the 2 new English speaking elders we got a bunch of new Latinos that are also way cool! Some we have all grown close to and have become good friends. I am here a total of 6 weeks so I leave 2 weeks from Tuesday.  It's fun making so many friends here in the CCM.  The other night we were all trading coins and stuff as souvenirs and so I got some coins from Brazil and also Venezuela! It neat to see how so many people from so many different backgrounds can come together and bond through our like faith! So cool!  
Bogota CCM Meal
Thanks for the inspiring words and thoughts. I really appreciate reading them.  I am so extremely grateful to the Lord for all the blessings he has given me. Just today in the temple (it was our last time we will be able to go due to renovation and I leave in about two weeks)
I was thinking about eternal families.  I am just so very grateful for our family.  Oh how blessed we are!  I hope that I will be able to show a fraction of my thanks to the Lord while out here on my mission. 


Anyway, my spiritual thought for the week is about sacrifice. I'm not quite sure if I said anything about that in my last email but that's okay because it is something that has been on my mind for a while! So the other night we had a devotional and we were able to watch a short video about the pioneers and the early saints in Salt Lake. The specific video we watched was about a man named John Rowe Moyle.  He lived in Alpine Utah and was called to be a stone cutter on the Salt Lake City Temple. The temple however was 22 miles away from his home. So at the beginning of every week he made the long trek by himself into Salt Lake and at the end of the week would come home to his family and would help with the chores around his property. Weeks, then months, then years passed by as John Moyle made this trek until one day he bought a cow and brought it back to his home. One day while milking, the cow became spooked and she kicked her back leg and broke his leg in multiple parts leaving it needing to be amputated. He was blessed and his leg did not get an infection in the leg. After his leg healed he then made a wood peg and rehabilitated until he was able to walk again. He then continued to make the 22 mile journey into Salt Lake every week on his wooden leg and climbed the tall scaffolding to the spot where he worked until he died. He was not able to see the completion of the temple in this life. 


How great the faith, how great the sacrifice he and many early saints of the church made in order to bring about great things. I am so very grateful for their sacrifices they made, leaving their families or making long journeys across oceans or leaving property, to bring the church to what it is today and to bring about the truthfulness of the restored gospel. I do testify that the restored gospel of Jesus Christ has indeed been restored, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Well, love and thinking of you all and hope you all are doing great!
Elder Crandall
Bogota CCM


P.S.:  One of my friends was singing Let it Go from that one movie (Frozen) mom and I saw the morning before I left and I was thinking about that and can't wait to be able to do that again!  Oh I also forgot to say I get a Latino companion on Tuesday! I’m about to go from a little English to no English at all!  haha!  Hopefully, it will be a good transition!